Friday, March 25, 2011

Database Project - McDonald, Joseph

Gym Membership Database

This project was the hardest in this class so far. I have had little to no experience using Access in the real world. So, everything was foreign to me. At first I caught myself thinking of Access as a big Excel worksheet but quickly realized it is much more than that. I guess the most valuable part of this project was the "sink or swim" introduction I received designing the database. I also learned that Access can be very valuable in the right context. As a career salesman I have always thought that Excel is suffecient for tracking my data and that an Access document is overkill. However, the deeper I got into the project I began thinking of some applications for Acces in my job. I am currently considering starting a database to track many of the things that I use excel for now. This will allow for further functunality by being able to tie all of the information in one place.

There are a couple of enhancements that can be made to the Database in the project to make it more effective. First it seemed that each member should have an assigned number. I added it to the database to make it easier to filter and report data. Also, other tables can be created with other data that could be mapped together with this first table. Perhaps a table with more detailed information about workout habits for each member that would allow the gym to strategically offer more products and services. There are also many reports that might be helpful. For example, the gym could run a report to display gym members by age or gender. This information would help gym owners to understand their customer base and how to grow by targeting other ages or genders.






McDonald_Joseph_db.accbd

No comments:

Post a Comment